Thread: Geocaching?
View Single Post
Old 24-02-2020, 22:27   #5
dotti34

Re: Geocaching?

One of the members of a committee I belonged to ages ago was a very enthusiastic geocacher (not sure if that’s what they are called). He spent most of one evening’s meeting explaining what it was all about. Have to say he lost me after his first couple of sentences – too complicated for my little brain. though probably more interesting than the meeting would have been.

From what I can remember a person hides a particular object and then puts out clues via coordinates. Other people then try to find the ‘treasure’ by studying the clues. Once they find the hidden object they then replace it with a different item, and find another hiding place for the one they have just ‘discovered’.

Just for fun we gave him a very little model of a house to hide in a location here in South Australia – and within a week it had been found in New Zealand! I think it had been discovered and re-housed (pardon the pun) in several locations before landing in NZ.

It’s a sort of treasure hunt for adults who have nothing else to do – but it does get a person out and about so there are benefits. You just have to have a bit more ‘up there’ than I have, which wouldn’t be hard.. You also need a GPS-enabled device.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote