View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 19:12   #14065
Ryewolf90
Full Member+

Re: Today in pictures

The Tentering Tower or The Wet Tower at Stubbins near Ramsbottom (a Grade II listed building) was a cloth store used by the nearby Porritt's Mill, originally a single storey building, a second storey with battlements on 3 sides was added later. Cloth from the mill would be hung on long tenter-frames in the field to the rear of it. Nearby there is a small quarry, now used as an allotment, that I assume was used for the building material of the tower.

1/ and 2/ Exterior of the Tentering Tower
3/ The Roof Line of the second storey
4/ Post Holes for beams for the second storey floor, also cast iron guttering near the top.
5/ and 6/ At some point the ground floor was converted to a stable, so I'm assuming that these metal objects hammered into the wall were part of the stable fittings
7/ Exterior showing ground floor arched entrance and stairs to the second storey.
8/ On the path to the tower were the remains of a cobbled path with a central gulley.

Woollen cloth was attached to the tenter frame by tenterhooks at the selvage ("self-finished" edge of fabric) whilst it was drying to prevent it from becoming misshapen; which is were the phrase 'being on tenterhooks comes from'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-8204.jpg (664.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-8170.jpg (566.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-interior-8192.jpg (647.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-interior-8181.jpg (751.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-interior-8186.jpg (501.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-interior-8184.jpg (441.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-8168.jpg (395.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tenter-tower-8166.jpg (412.5 KB, 7 views)