View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 09:08   #10
andyd
God Member

Re: Rotherham Utd ,Sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
It’s very nice of the club, of course, but surely we should have a minutes silence for EVERY season ticket holder that dies? And if you don’t share my view then I shall, of course, take the moral high ground and accuse you of a lack of compassion!

A Minutes silence is a war thing that’s ever more crept into our lives with no logic or pattern. Most times there’s a minutes silence I’m sure people just think “who was he?” Or “what am I supposed to be thinking about”.

We had more than one for the Manchester bomb. Tragic yes, but so are the hundreds of suicides of young people every year.

(I’m also dubious of the trend for cancelling sporting events for ever more spurious reasons of “respect”. And the demands of poppy nazis every November.

It can also be devisive. Don Revie, a true great of British football, did not get one (apart from Elland Road), which riled Leeds fans no end. Can’t remember whether thatcher got one but sure there would be highly charged views on that.

In my opinion they should be used only when something is meaningful and deeply felt by the people observing the silence. Otherwise they simply become less significant. We all read the papers and no doubt have our thoughts on tragedy as and when it happens.

Other people have different opinions, but doesn’t mean we shouldn’t question when these things are used.
Turn up at two minutes past and you'll miss it sad.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote