Thread: Coronovirus
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 21:01   #7
Tom D

Re: Coronovirus

Margaret - the comparisons to annual mortality for influenza and other conditions aren't really valid I'm afraid. The biggest issue is how contagious it is in comparison to most respiratory viral infections. It is approx 3 times more contagious than seasonal influenza on current estimates, but this is likely an underestimate based on figures from Italy. Most people won't get flu during a 'bad' flu year, but coronavirus may result in the majority of the public becoming infected, with a fairly high mortality rate in the elderly and those with chronic health conditions.

Lord D - stopping the elderly population going to games wouldn't be effective. If transmitted to a large population at games, it greatly increases the odds of transmission onto the general population including the elderly. Think of it as similar the herd community concept with vaccinations (just sort of in reverse).

Sorry but I think we may reach a point where large crowds are banned in the relatively near future.

I get being sick of the dramatic headlines in newspapers. The reality is in hospitals a LOT of contingency planning is currently taking place.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote