Thread: Coronovirus
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2020, 13:26   #15
Tom D

Re: Coronovirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I feel ever more convinced that lockdown isn’t going to work. China looks to be beating the virus, but as soon as it returns to normal what then?
Do we face months, years of life being **** with the same end result? The more I look at this the more I try to think of myself as a frail 85 year old. How do I want to live my last few years? Not in lockdown, not seeing my children facing financial ruin, not getting bad medical care because everyone is fighting the virus in vain.
Think I’d take my chances and hope that if CV gets me it will still be better than being kept alive in pain with some other disease.
No easy answers.
Purpose of stopping large public gatherings of any sort is intended for containment and mitigation of spread of the virus. The idea being that if we can stop a large spike in new cases, particularly amongst patients requiring hospital admissions and intensive care, the whole situation is more manageable as it is spread out over a longer period. It may not result in the overall incidence of COVID-19 being dramatically different without these extreme measures, so in a way you're right, but that's not really it's intended purpose.

Like I alluded to before in my other post, a lot of measures aren't taken with the individual in mind, but as a mitigation strategy for the general population.

On the subject of priorities, football drops down significantly as we enter the next stage in disease management. If a void season isn't practical, maybe a delayed start to next season and a reduction in fixtures i.e. not holding the trophy may be the way forward.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote