Thread: Corona Virus
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2020, 22:44   #74
Hill Walker

Re: Corona Virus

I seem to be suffering a side effect from this virus. No I don’t have the virus, just the side effect, which is memories of other ‘National Crises’ and other illness related things. Some examples:-

“Kills All Known Germs” an advertising slogan I haven’t heard for a very long time. For some reason this keeps popping into my head just like one of those songs or tunes that pop up from time to time.

Toilet Paper. The first ‘domestic task’ I was given as a small child was tearing up newspaper. This was before I was tall enough to be able to participate in the washing up and shopping tasks. The first and for several years the only place I came across ‘real’ toilet paper was school. If you needed to go you had to ask and were then indiscreetly asked 1 or 2. If it was 2 you were given one sheet and were expected to use your initiative for the rest of your requirement.

The Three Day Week. This panic buying of candles and wicks for old oil lamps. Actually for me this was not a problem, I live in a windy rural area with lots of overhead electricity wiring so the local shop had plenty as did all local residents. Also remember the petrol rationing coupons that were issued, they appeared to have been in storage somewhere since WWII.

The trigger for this memory was a brief conversation with a neighbour who was just returning from a shopping trip. I asked how successful it had been and got the obvious and expected comments about toilet rolls etc followed by the comment ’they haven’t thought it through - the condom shelf is still full’. Remember nine months after the three day week?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote