View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 18:25   #13
skuta

Re: alternative care for elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Personally,I think it sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I don't believe half of the carers I've seen should be doing any sort of care work.
They seem to be either just in it for the money,power trippers or think they know it all and that's without mentioning those with insufficient experience/training.
Most the carers I've dealt with need monitoring a hell of a lot more than they are and this should preferably be done by family member or guardian of the service user.
Completely agree with you. My recent experience of "carers" following my stroke has been utterly dreadful. Standards these days are abysmal. You would NOT place your loved ones in the care of these people if you knew what really happens. I laugh how everybody suddenly thinks of the elderly. They don't. They could not care less. Failure, like their demonstrated poor academic track record, for these people is still considered a result. Common-sense and paying attention is non-existent. At least they showed up. Yes, you can pick up pretty quick the ones in it for the money and really don't care at all. They are usually completely untrained and NEVER read your Care Plan. Instead they lazily asked me what to do. As if I am competent as a person with a severe brain injury to train them how to do everything and be burdened with remembering everything that's required. They are also very good at lying. I've been told some total gibberish by carers that is self-evidently nonsense. They are very inconsistent because they only do (if they do), what they want, when they feel like it. This changes all the time as staff change. This has played havoc with my stroke recovery. Along with their Employers constantly changing staff by sending new people who know nothing about me or what to do. It took them long enough to learn how to use my KeySafe to let themselves in. They clearly missed the point of such a device and knocked on my door at random times early in the morning. Thanks halfwits for wrecking my sleep pattern! Most carers don't even know or understand that I've had a stroke and are potentially in danger from outbursts and lashing out caused by my brain disturbance. I could go on...
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote