View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 18:43   #14
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: alternative care for elderly

I think it is very easy to condemn carers.
It is a job that no-one in their right mind would want to do for the money they are paid.
What you pay to the care agency does not find its way into their pockets.

Reputable care agencies will promote education in their staff (NVQ's and the like) because they know that this leads to better user satisfaction....and is also advantageous to the carer too.

Also a good care agency will have some kind of protocols in place to ensure that care records are maintained and up to date...for reasons of health and safety.
A good care record will also tell those coming into your home, what is needed.

The only carers who really care are those who have some kind of personal investment with the person they are caring for...and the fact that many people needing care get someone different every time there is a visit means that personal bonds are rarely formed to the extent that there is real 'care'.
We do not (as a society) value the elderly, and we do not value those who care for the elderly.

In my time I have been a nurse(30 yrs) and I have looked after a number of elderly(infirm) neighbours and my dear old Ma...not for money or personal gain, but because I really did care about them.
You can only truly care if you have the bond and the committment

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 07-05-2020 at 18:46.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote