View Single Post
Old 17-06-2020, 11:14   #134
chifuwan

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

Came across this when browsing, I was a pupil of Christ Church late 70's early 80's. I have many fond memories of going to that school. Reading the older posts I remember Mrs Duxbury very fondly, she was the caretaker at the time I was and I always felt she was like another mother. One memory I had was going to school in the summer without a coat, come home time it was raining, so she made up some waterproofs with some bin bags. I remember Mr Whalley but the image in my head doesn't match the picture I've seen. I can't remember the name of the first teacher when I started but I rememebr Mrs Mayers (I think that was her name) when I went up a year. The class was in the new bit when you walked pass the canteen and up the stairs. I remember the strange banked slope we always slide down and the dividing wall between the 2 main play areas. Had lots of fun climbing along and laying in the gaps between. When you came in through the main gates I remember the stairs in front going down to the boiler, I always thought there was a dragon down there!! Later I was there when we moved up to Hudson Street, the old Hollins school. In my last year at Woodnook, I went to Hollins proper as a taster and was that an eye opener!, there were 3 fights in that one day, but I went to a secondary school in Blackburn instead. I was always surprised how small the Woodnook site is compared to the new Hollins and how everyone fit. Maybe it merged but I have no idea. I also remember how well polished the floor was in the main hall at Christ Church was, I used to run and slide on the floor, but was told off incase of splinters. I remember the walk to school from Richmond Hill Street. We walked past the corner shop which was run by a lady called Joyce I think. Sometimes when she had new stock we would help her take stuff into teh shop from her car and she would give us sweets as a reward. I was there when Mrs Neild left and Mr Bibby took over as head. Doing a search I found Mrs Neild passed away in 2009 RIP. Anyway I moved away from Accrington a long time ago but my childhood growing up there was a very special and fun time. I went back around 1992, so many things were famialr yet so different.
chifuwan is offline   Reply With Quote