View Single Post
Old 28-07-2020, 19:14   #9
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Let's Reminisce.

A bit like this:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
true, but my eyes still say different. when my family moved from hartlepool{west Hartlepool in those days** just over 60 years ago now it felt like heaven moving from a real working class town that reaked of deprovation to a small mill town near halifax. some lovely old properties in terraced streets where women took pride in their steps with those stones they used then to clean em up. same in big brother halifax where my married sister lived. go back now after years of enrichers these places make slums look acceptable. going back to hartlepool now its the opposite affect than previously. do not have to give a big clue why. keighley where i now live was actually thought of as being posh with all that green and moorland between the towns. now this has been eaten up in the last few years due to extra housing required. why is all this extra housing needed. for me its to house those who,s families are now older, from different parts of the world where contraception is seen more of a dirty word than a necessity. got to finish as i have heard a siren going off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Oh how this post took me back sixty seven years, to when my family moved from Burnley (only six or seven miles) to the village of Huncoat where I have lived ever since. Accrington council, as it was then were allocating newly built "Corporation houses" to people who were prepared to to work in Broad Meadows Colliery ,(Huncoat Pit) or the newly built Power Station.
The house that my parents were allocated was only a cock stride from the green fields and woodland that separated Huncoat from Hapton but to a young lad it was a different world, a paradise might seem too strong a word to use nowadays but that is the only way that I can describe it.
My love of animals, gardening and the countryside in general, stems from the the day in 1954 when my (true) life actually began.
Your's with a tear in my eye, Taddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think many of us had those kind of experiences back in those days Taddy.
My playground was Priestley Clough.
We(my five brothers and I) would go out first thing and would not go home until it was dark or we were too hungry to carry on playing.
We fished for stickle backs in the lodge(a stocking....attached to a wire circle and put into a length of bamboo.)
We brought hedgehogs home.(full of red mites) We picked brambles and ate them right off the bush....the same with raspberries. We picked bluebells, to our Ma's horror.....would not have them in the house...did not want to cross the fairies.
We once picked a load of apples off a tree and ate them in spite of the fact that they were really,really sour.
We were all up that night with bellyache and had the runs(not good when the lav is out the back).
Taddy, we had what would now be considered impoverished up bringing...yet we were really rich in experiences and they made us the people we are today.
I would not swap my growing up years for anything.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote