View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 14:24   #61
graeme thacker

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Bacigalupo View Post
Hi, my name is Valerie (Bacigalupo) Engh. My paternal grandfather was/is Leo Bacigalupo, who was one of the seven Bacigalupo brothers. The seven brother's parents were Bartholomew Bacigalupo, born 20 Dec 1874 in New Accrington, Lanc. England, died 1940 and Ann Jane Walsh, born 15 Feb 1879 in Haslingden, Lanc., England, died May 1963. The Bacigalupo brothers names are, from eldest to youngest: 1.Bartholomew (Bart) 2.William (Bill) 3. Leo 4.Francis (Fran) 5. Albert 6. Joseph (Joe) 7. Horace I would love to connect with relatives and share information. My father, Barry Bacigalupo, was an only child and emigrated to Canada. I have never met any of my English or Italian relatives, (except for my Grandfather Leo and my Grandmother Alice Mary Wood), and I would really love to finally get in touch. You are correct about the story of Bartholomew walking across the Alps to get to England! I've heard that story many, many times from my father Barry and my grandfather Leo!
Dear Valerie,
We share the same ancestry. My great grandfather was Bartolomeo Bacigalupo. Just to keep the family history correct, it was he who walked across the Alps, not his son Bartholomew. Bart. Jn. had seven sons, one of which was Leo. Bart Jn. was born and reared in Accrington not Italy. In fact, the English connection goes back to Bartolomeo's father and mother, Giuseppe and Rosa (nee Botto) They came to England c1840 but went back to Italy. They returned for good in April 1856 and settled in Bradford where they ran a lodging house. Bartolomeo was born in Italy in 1853. He went back to Italy in the late 1860's, early 1870's to finally return to marry in 1874. It is he who walked across the Alps with his friend Antonio Papa, (Tony Pope, another ice-cream supplier to the town).Bartolomeo married Mary Jane Rodgers of Italian parents. Her father James although Italian was known locally as 'German Jimmy'. He ran a doss house in Duke Street Accrington.
I have tried for years to establish Bartolomeo's exact place of birth. I think it is Chiavari, about 20 miles south of Genoa, but cannot be certain.
I have a few family photos if you would like copies. Message me and I will send you my email address.
Regards,
Graeme
graeme thacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web