View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 21:02   #63
graeme thacker

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi lovely post. I dont really know much of your family in our town of Accrington, but certainly have heard of them. They "left their mark". Your mention about "German Jimmy" and Duke Street made me smile. If I remember correctly, if you look on the census, an early one, am sure you will find all the names of the folk who were registered there on the night of the census. Maybe that gives the birth place of your ancestor.
When Bartolomeo settled in Accrington, the family home was 29 Oswald Street c1891 and remained so up into the 1970's when Agnes Bacigalupo, the last of Bartolomeo's daughters died. He tried his hand at many jobs. Apparently had the first fried fish shop in Accrington, greengrocer, and of course made and sold ice-cream. The family story is that he was the first man to put raspberry sauce on the 'penny lick'. My father who was William Thacker, also lived in Oswald street, and told me that as a very young boy, would help his grandfather Bart to make the ice-cream which would then be packed in blocks of ice and loaded onto a hand cart. Bart would then push the cart to Burnley to sell at an annual fair. You know how family stories can get embellished down the years!!
Bart's eldest son, also Bartholomew, had seven sons. Three of them were well known in the town for being barbers.
With regard to my other greatgrandfather, James Rodgers, I visited Accrington Cemetery and found the entry for James. Next to his entry was written, A.K.A, German Jimmy, and he was Italian!!
graeme thacker is offline   Reply With Quote