View Single Post
Old 29-08-2020, 15:24   #34
archie

Re: Huncoat Hall - (Birtwistle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcymru View Post
Hello, I am new and looking for more information on my family tree and came across this post.

My grandfather is Robert Colin Birtwell son to Albert Birtwell who owned the Birtwell's Ice Cream van, and his father was Ambrose Birtwell. If anybody has any pictures or stories or anything I would be so grateful.

Thankyou
I am just getting re-acquainted with the Accy.Web and just noticed your post. So I am a little late in replying.
Birtwell Ice Cream mid-Late 50's: The horse and cart used to stand in the back running down to the main road from Melbourne Street. A whistle was blown and as kids we used to run out from our joint back yard to purchase our ice cream 4d or 6d I think. We were always asked if we wanted blood (Raspberry sauce) Sometimes the horse would set off without warning as the ice cream was being handed over. I don't know the name of which Birtwell, it was probably Ambrose, but he certainly had a gruff voice yelling at the horse to stand. But very often we ended up chasing the cart down the back, laughing all the way to get our ice cream.Happy Memories.
archie is offline   Reply With Quote