View Single Post
Old 22-10-2020, 09:06   #35
taddy

Re: Huncoat Hall - (Birtwistle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
I am just getting re-acquainted with the Accy.Web and just noticed your post. So I am a little late in replying.
Birtwell Ice Cream mid-Late 50's: The horse and cart used to stand in the back running down to the main road from Melbourne Street. A whistle was blown and as kids we used to run out from our joint back yard to purchase our ice cream 4d or 6d I think. We were always asked if we wanted blood (Raspberry sauce) Sometimes the horse would set off without warning as the ice cream was being handed over. I don't know the name of which Birtwell, it was probably Ambrose, but he certainly had a gruff voice yelling at the horse to stand. But very often we ended up chasing the cart down the back, laughing all the way to get our ice cream.Happy Memories.
I have lived in the village since 1954, you are right about the horse and ice cream cart but it was Albert Birtwell, the owner of Hillhouse Farm who made and sold the ice cream;I sometimes used to help(or was it hinder) Albert to harness the horses to the carts; Dolly and Jewel were two of the three horses he had.I cannot remember the name of the third; when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old I once rode one bearback whilst leading another to the blacksmith in Haslingdon to have them reshod then rode them back again over the moors back to Huncoat, Albert also taught me to drive before I reached my teens on his little grey Ferguson T-E-20-1953 Tractor.
As you rightly say, "Happy Memories.
Regards Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote