View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 20:01   #6
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: What is this kitchen item

I like to help rob...and there are lots of recipes on th internet...but you could do a beef casserole in one of these(but I would perhaps start it off in a pan and then dcant it into the individual pots.
Some nice stewing beef a couple of shallots a diced carrot...a handful of barley...some dumplings and you have a good winter 'stick to your ribs' meal

And dumplings are easy.
you need twice as much flour as suet(so two ounces of suet would need four onces of flour) a pinch of salt and pepper.....a pinch of baking powder(even if it is self raising flour I use this.....mixed to a dough using as little water as is needed to make it come together(I use soda water as it helps make the dumplings lighter).
The secret to good dumpling is the casserole must be bubbling hot before you put them in.....they cook in about 15 minutes(as long as they are not the size of cannon balls).
I usually make my dumplings in the morning and leave them to rest in the fridge .

Or if you want to do the cheats method you could always buy ready made dumpling mix...but I like to make my own
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote