Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2021, 16:18   #386
AccyVicar

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
Hello, I have just started to revisit research on My Great Grandad Ernest Percy Brown. He was a Soldier in the 158th Howitzer Bridage Accrington, kind of part of the PALS brigades that were set up at the time. I followed some clues given by Retlaw about his name appearing on the St Mary Magdalen ROH and they said they haven't got his name on there. I was just wondering if i had the wrong ROH? Could anyone advise how i might get a picture of the ROH Retlaw is refering to, or advise me who to contact, as i have already contacted St Mary Magdalen Church in Accrington but they sent a picture back proving there is no Ernest Brown on their ROH. I also thought you could only be added to a ROH if you had died in conflict, which he did not. so am i looking for something that doesn't exist? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi, I am no longer in Accrington so cannot check on this particular one - but I do know that many churches have a Roll of Honour which includes (or is exclusively for) those who served in and survived the war. It is the War Memorials that only have the names of those who died (memorials will often say "In Memoriam" or include the quote "Greater love hath no man than this" or simply say "Those who died in the Great War"). So your great grandad's name could well be on a Roll of Honour. Hope this helps.
AccyVicar is offline   Reply With Quote