View Single Post
Old 25-06-2021, 23:13   #15
skuta

Re: alternative care for elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Personally,I think it sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I don't believe half of the carers I've seen should be doing any sort of care work.
They seem to be either just in it for the money,power trippers or think they know it all and that's without mentioning those with insufficient experience/training.
Most the carers I've dealt with need monitoring a hell of a lot more than they are and this should preferably be done by family member or guardian of the service user.
Too right. In my recent direct experience a lot of so-called "Carers" should be nowhere near frail or vulnerable people. They often do more harm than good.

You're right about the money angle too. The conversations often went along the Themes of Bank/Agency Work or when the next break is. Never about policies, procedures, best-practice & techniques etc. Certainly never about what's best for a Patient.

The worst for this are Night Staff who get paid a little more. Bank Nurses are often dreadful too because they are the people working extra shifts for the money only, not because they really like helping folk.

I could go on, I won't, it'll turn into a scary Novel.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote