View Single Post
Old 17-08-2021, 09:59   #49
andyd
God Member

Re: The league return of the fans matchday thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
this has been mentioned loads of times but that does not make it less true. remember having a talk that ended up a row about stanley with a fan from another club. he mentioned the fact of wigan being out of the league about as long as stanley where. he could not get the fact that wigan played non league level at the highest level available to them with always a decent side if not one of the best in non league. stanley did not have this luxury to keep generations of fans happy. there is always a level below or above where stanley are now at where people are prepared to watch football.
Look at Blackburn rovers for example pre Jack Walker days they got about 8 to 9 thousand, along comes Jack into the brand new Premiership up go the crowds home fans probably about 22 thousand. I was working with a Rovers fan who had seen both crowd's. they got relegated and I said your gates will drop because some fans just want to watch top level football, he disagreed but I was proved right they dropped to about 12 to 13 thousand. Last Saturday first game back and they were back to 9 thousand plus..My point being as proven by amount of people watching Premiership in pubs is they won't be enticed to Stanley unless we were promoted to the top flight and then we wouldn't have the room.Andy Holt has only tweeted this morning about the difficulty,s of attracting new fans it takes time building up the community spirit and hopefully fan base.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote