View Single Post
Old 25-08-2021, 10:29   #1
Div3North
Senior Member+

2021/22 Prediction League - Happy Anniversary

The Accrington Stanley Prediction League

2021/22 Prediction League Game 5

Believe it or believe it not, this week's game represents the 500th League match played by the Stanley during Chimer's and my tenure as compiler and recorder of the World-Famous Prediction League

If that sound like a lot, it is; I've lost count of the times I've fallen asleep over my keyboard at silly o-clock in the morning trying to finish the opener so that I could start the match thread while people still had time to enter before kick off (and some of you - you know who you are - have tried to enter a prediction during the half time oranges!)

The first game we posted (put up 1st August 2010, played 7th August 2010) was Accie at home to Aldershot ............ we had 61 entries ............ the opening post (my bit of all this) extended to 293 words, mentioned who the opponents had signed, how we'd done against them in the past, and had no Characters (Hereward the Wake Up it's 4.30 hadn't been unearthed then, nor You Fat Bastard, nor dozens of others, recurring or transient) and not a single joke .............. The game finished as a Goalless Desmond, by the way, but that designation wasn't invented for a few seasons ........... Boring? You'd better believe ........ no whimsy, no flights of nonsensical fantasy, no characters (real or otherwise), no running gags, no leg-pulls

Ten full seasons at 46 games; one Covid season at 35 games; and Game 5 of season 12 ............. 500. Hands up if you can claim to have read all the openers, because if you have, you could pass an exam in Historical Facts and Bits of Nonsense, some songs, the odd poem ............ one day (when I'm terminally bored) I'll go back and make a list of all the people who've had a mention in the threads - and it's a very lot!

61 entries back then, 28 players so far this season ........ but of those 28, a Magnificent 17 played in our first season and are still with us (or back again); actually, it would have been 29 players and 18 from Day One had we not, so sadly, lost Bernard (Revived Red), because he was in Series One Episode One as well ............ and so, a Roll of Honour for those who span Game 1 to Game 500

Roll of Honour

Chimer
Me
Stanleyhouse
Leylandii
Nige B
Tommy McQueen
Football 19
DaveInGermany
Valairian
AccyMad
Outback Ozzy
Cashman
mab
Ossy Kid
Mike A
Shurm
LongLostSon
and Revived Red

Thank you for your continuing support, your company, and your input - without you, it would just have been two Sad Bast*rds at opposite ends of the country who Need To Get Out More ... and Long May the Prediction League Reign; I bet no-one's got a better one than ours!

Jeff
pp Chris

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web