View Single Post
Old 23-04-2022, 20:34   #15
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: The vs Lincoln thread.

It was really great to finish at The Wham stadium with a victory over Lincoln City today.
It was a deserved victory too because Stanley were always on top of their opponents. The very strong, varied North Easterly wind was a problem for both teams but Stanley seemed to cope with it quite well. Both Nolan’s corners and Leigh’s long throw ins were delivered at exactly the ideal trajectory to ‘cut’ under the wind and caused our opponents real problems throughout the match. From the Clayton End it was difficult to tell what happened for our first goal but I did spot that Leigh go in a good header in the build up.
Half time came with Stanley deserving their one goal lead. Playing up towards the Clayton End the fans were hungry for more goals. The second goal came as the result of a great shot by my MOM Ethan Hamilton, whose shot could only be parried by the Lincoln keeper and Colby followed up as every good centre forward should for the tap in.
We were looking comfortable when a Lincoln ball through the middle of our defence drew Savin out to the edge of the penalty box but the wind held the ball up and he handled it outside of the eighteen yard line! young Isherwood came on and got a very important touch to clear the free kick! Isherwood also did another good save in the closing minutes!
In the end Stanley fully deserved the win.
The Clayton End were all singing, “ On the pitch, on the pitch!”, as the match came to a close but I am glad that the stewards placed themselves effectively to prevent it.
Our new pitch has had a lot of money spent on it by Andy Holt and it has been absolutely superb this season. It would have been silly to have all and sundry charging about all over it.
Good win.
Let’s hope that we can win next week to against old rivals Wimbledon!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote