View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 00:13   #57
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Worst TV commercials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The child was asking ‘Mummy do we eatChicken’ went onto say they had some plant based chicken type food (‘it was yummy’)and why did her mum not cook things like this…..then this smart ar$e kid went on to ask if it was because her mother was afraid of change….that if no one liked it then it would be remembered as the day mum cooked…..yeuk, well I do not know who thought up this psychological nudge…but if anything would put me off plant based food that was masquerading as Chicken….this would be it

And I know I have mentioned it before…but the adverts that are by the Vegetarian Butcher…..hello that would be a greengrocer then.

How much chemical crap goes into these substitutes to make somebody think they are eating chicken would be the question I would ask.
I’ve tried ‘vegan bacon’, ….didn’t look like bacon, didn’t taste like bacon. Horrible stuff.

I’m from the pre cooking oil age, when pretty much everything that was fried was done so in a lump of hot melted lard. Eggs fresh from the milkman fried in a pan where the melted lard was so deep you could spoon it over the bright yellow yolk..non-stick coatings on pans were non-existent, then again food didn’t stick to big heavy blackened frying pans filled with molten lard. Bacon sliced at your desired thickness from Len’s where you actually needed to trim the fat before you put it in the pan and cut the rind as you fried it to prevent it from curling too much, butchers sausages that needed their skins pricking and didn’t shrink and ohhh…the bliss of a crispy slice of Mothers Pride fried bread made from the leavings in the frying pan.

Nowadays my ‘old fart sensible’ unhealthy saturday morning treat…oven cooked water injected bacon and sausage, both of which shrink as the water evaporates, I have to buy smoked bacon, unsmoked is tasteless, small tin of baked beans to moisten and a poached egg. Fried bread just cannot be made anymore and has been consigned to history and forgotten like the Dodo to anyone under 55.

Saturday breakfast to me is a tradition (like the Sunday roast and xmas dinner)….So I eat ‘todays bacon’…doesn’t look like ‘proper’ bacon, doesn’t taste like ‘proper’ bacon. Horrible stuff. Likewise for the sausage and the poached egg.

Back to the advert..to me there is nothing different between the ‘real’ injected watery additive laden chicken nuggets that the mother uses than the packet of ‘pretend’ injected watery additive laden chicken like nuggets the mates mother uses…a proper parent would avoid both like the plague..only food that came in packets or boxes that I recall as a kid was cereal, bisto and dried peas.