Thread: 'from spoofing'
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:30   #1
dotti34

'from spoofing'

It’s seems a while since this sort of thing was mentioned on Accyweb and although most of you will be aware of it already as it has been around for a long time, I thought I would bring it up again as there seems to be more of it lately. A timely reminder, if I may mention it, of how diligent we have to be at all times. I’m talking about ‘from spoofing’. For those who might not know what it is, and need to be made aware of it, ‘from spoofing’ is when you receive an email supposedly from the person on the ‘from’ line, but in actual fact it is not from them. The content in the body of the email will seem to be genuine, might even make sense, and you will be asked to tap into the link that is included with the message. Don’t do this, just delete the email.

Now and then I receive an email that is supposed to be from one of my sons, the message makes sense and sounds legit, but as he never includes links in his emails to me, and we now have a little code that he puts on his emails, I know this is a spoofing email.

As we all know, it is easy to find out if an email is genuine or not by clicking on the ‘from’ address. It’s a nuisance having to do so but worth it. If I get an email supposedly from someone I haven’t heard from for a long time I definitely check the ‘from’ address.

I realise I am probably telling this to those in the know but I thought it was worth mentioning again because it does seem to be getting more prevalent.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web