View Single Post
Old 20-02-2023, 12:42   #4
taddy

Re: Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Ryewolf, thank you for this information on behalf of all train enthusiasts who might read this thread. Unfortunately I’m a bit too far away to take part in any of this. However, it does bring back memories of leaning over the side of a bridge with pencil and paper, writing down the numbers of the engines that were ‘namers’ as they passed beneath us. Could be dangerous work if we leant too far but that didn’t mean a thing to us.. A lot of trains have gone under a lot of bridges since then. If I remember rightly the namers all started with the number 8, could be wrong about that – long time ago.
Aye Dotti this post takes me back more than a few years, my family moved into Huncoat village when I was seven years old and we lived within a couple of hundred yards of the railway, a favourite pastime, (when I got a little older), I may add, was leaving four or six inch nails on the tracks to be flattened by the heavy steam trains and then after sharpening and adding a piece of wood for a handle, making our own knives.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote