View Single Post
Old 30-04-2005, 13:23   #11
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
One for Staggers. Lake Taupo

After leaving Wai-O-Tapu we headed south to Turangi at the southeastern end of Lake Taupo, where we had a one night stay. Originally a small fishing retreat, Turangi was developed into a town in the late 60's to provide accommodation for workers for the Tongariro Hydro-electricity scheme. Still an extremely popular place with anglers Turangi is a nice little town (with a brilliant fish and chip shop). By the time we arrived in Turangi the weather had turned somewhat moody. Big dark clouds were descending fast and the air was heavy with impending rain. The owners of our motel were quite relieved as they hadn't had rain for 3 months and said the area was starting to look dry. It looked green enough to me but I'm no expert on NZ flora.

We took a stroll around the southern shore of Lake Taupo, this lake is massive. Lake Taupo was formed by a volcanic explosion in AD 186. It is NZ's largest Lake and covers an area of about 239 sq miles. It has white beaches and rocky coves and on a clear day you can see the volcanic cones of Mts Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. Many Kiwis come here for their holidays as there are so many activities available in the area. A haven for anglers the line fishing season for trout runs from November to March and a fishing license can be purchased at sports shops and tourist information places (of which there are plenty). You should see the size of the fish here Staggers........ They're huge!!!!!

Here are a couple of pics of Lake Taupo (southern end) on a very dodgy day. Although there are multitudinous clouds it is not difficult to see the beauty of the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ 2005 043.jpg (21.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg NZ 2005 042.jpg (21.3 KB, 15 views)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 30-04-2005 at 13:25.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote