View Single Post
Old 23-05-2005, 15:31   #31
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Christchurch.

We arrived in Christchurch mid afternoon and dumped our belongings in our very comfy motel prior to a stroll into the centre. Christchurch is the largest city on the South Island and is affectionately known as the 'Garden City.'

We strolled into the centre and had a look around Cathedral Square which is dominated by the Anglican Christchurch Cathedral. Christchurch Cathedral was designed by English architect George Gilbert Scott and was completed in 1904. It was built as the focal point of the new Anglican settlement of Canterbury and is still the most important landmark.

In Cathedral Square there is also a more modern tribute to the 150th anniversary of the founding of Canterbury and Christchurch. This tribute also celebrated the new Millennium. It is an 18m high sculpture by Neil Dawson and is known as Chalice.

A stroll around Cathedral Square is a very pleasant way to spend an hour or two. With the old Post Office building, War Memorial and statue of John Robert Godley (the founding father of Canterbury) there is plenty to see. There are lots of places to sit and watch the world go by, coffee shops and food vans provide refreshment, while people watching and the resident speakers in the square provide the entertainment.

Oh yes, we were going to have a rest in Christchurch, put our feet up and recover from the never ending driving in the most civilised surroundings. Or were we.........

Here's a couple of pics of Cathedral Square including the Cathedral and the Chalice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christchurch cathederal.jpg (97.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg chalice.jpg (59.3 KB, 15 views)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web