View Single Post
Old 25-05-2005, 10:42   #32
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Christchurch

Feeling refreshed after an early night, we walked the short distance back into the City in order to explore. By far the best way to see the sights of Christchurch is by tram. The electric tram was introduced here in 1905. They were an integral part of the city transport system until 1954 when they disappeared. Due to the dedication of the Tramway Historical Society and the City Council, the tram was re-introduced in 1995.

These trams take you on a circuit of the city. They have been beautifully restored and the drivers and conductors are real characters. They will give you a running commentary of all the sights and poke fun at everybody and everything. Their favourite targets seem to be anyone wearing a rugby shirt from a team which they don't support, anyone from the North Island and anyone from Australia. These blokes are a scream and very informative about the area. You can buy a day ticket for the tram and hop on and off at any of the designated stops, thus enabling you to see most of the major sights.

After a quick ride on the tram we got on the Lyttleton bus to the gondola. The 945m Austrian Doppelmayer Gondola gently ascends you to the top of Port Hills for a panoramic view of the Christchurch area, Lyttleton and the Canterbury Plains. Lyttleton is one of NZ's busiest ports and was the original landing site for the Canterbury Pilgrims. It's quite a view.

Returning to the city, we once again hopped on the tram to the botanical gardens. Full of amazing plants and fountains, it's everyone's favourite walk in the park. The River Avon snakes it's way throught the gardens and punting down the Avon is a very civilised pastime. We grabbed a take out coffee and chilled out on the grass watching the world go by. What a sedate way to spend an afternoon. Christchurch has it all. Great cultural and theatre scene, lovely restaurants and bars, good choice in shopping, easy access to outdoor pursuits, beautiful parks and gardens and lively people. There are areas in the city where locals warn you not to go alone at night but the same could be said for any city in the world. I could quite happily live there.

Here are the pics. The Christchurch tram, view over Lyttleton and the Banks Peninsula, The Peacock fountain in the Botanical Gardens and punting on the Avon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christchurch tram.jpg (91.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg lyttleton.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg peacock fountain.jpg (96.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg river avon.jpg (95.6 KB, 12 views)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 31-05-2005 at 07:15.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote