View Single Post
Old 27-06-2005, 06:45   #1
Xiango
Junior Member+

Serious Topic - Do Women Have More Rights Than Men?

This has always been something that bothered me. A while ago, women had no rights, and had to start all this bra-burning, protesting to get rights, and slowly but surely, the rights came to women one-by-one. The high numbers of female unemployment decreased adn work rights were given, enabling them to apply and get any job that a man does. Just because women were women doesn't mean they shouldn't get a job. The number of housewives reporting crimes against her at the home has decreased, and general manners towards women has majorly increased (opening doors, sitting them first at a table, etc).

But now, it seems, that men seem to be the minority. All a woman has to do is say that "this guy at work" has been eyeing her for the last month/week/year, and was making rude gestures towards her involving sexually explicit movements. Guaranteed that the woman will be believed before the man, even if the man is innocent. It is very hard for a man to prove the innocence as women take looking at their rear as sexual harrassment nowadays (it's a compliment!).

The number of male house"wives" has increased with the number of "independant" women around who would rather work than look after the kids (this is their choice, and i'm not saying they shouldn't have that choice). But, with this increased number of male house"wives", the number of male beatings from their spouse/significant other at home has also increased. Men are being bullied more than women now, and the perpetrators are women, and men still stuck in the macho "men work, women mind the children" egos.

A man will rarely, if even at all, win a case of sexual harrassment from a woman. It seems that women have an upper hand over men. They seems to have more rights, maybe not specifically speaking more legal rights, but more power anyway.

If a couple are married and have kids, and they split up, the mother has instant custody over the child. The father has to fight for custody. If the mother gets the child, the father has to pay the mother, but not vica-versa. People say that a child needs it's mother more: bull! The child needs both parents, but either will do should push come to shove (also depending on how the mother/father treated the child).

So, in your opinion, do women seem to have more rights than men?

(Oh, and before anyone thinks it, i'm not been chauvenistic, i just thought it would make a good discussion.)