View Single Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:28   #3
-pixie

Re: Serious Topic - Do Women Have More Rights Than Men?

I would say that women are making up for lost time! I am lucky in the fact that I have been brought up to believe that the sexes are equal, but I remember my mother telling me about the massive pay rises she got in the 70's - to bring her inline with the male pay rate on LET! Its not that long ago that women were seen as inferior, as less capable.
I do think things have gone a bit too PC though, as far as work - people should be given the job on their ability, not because of their sex, or because the PC brigade have said they need another woman on board.
As far as custody of children in a divorce goes...hmmm. I am about to go all maternal now (which is a rarity for me!). Yes, technically, in an ideal world the child should go to the 'best' parent. But then you have to define what makes one parent better than another. Plus (and this is where I willprobably get shot down in sentimentality!), men don't 'do' pregnancy. They don't carry a baby round for 9 (horrible) months and develop that bond before a baby is even born. I don't mean that this makes them less of a parent. If my partner and myself split up, I would expect to get custody of our little boy, even though he is an excellent father. This would be for no other reason that I am the mother. Its difficult to explain, but he wasn't the one who had to put up with looking like a beached whale for 9 months. He wasn't the one who had a 3 day labour (during which I might add he popped home to go on his PC!). I am not one of these silly women who worship their offspring, but if push came to shove, I feel like I have 'earned' that baby.
However as the child gets older, I think they should have more of a say in whom they would like to live with and when they would like to see the absent parent.
I think the daft bints who have 4 kids by different fathers then play about with access, and use children as a weapon have given the situation a bad name. I fully agree with a child being able to see both parents whenever they choose - any parents who need a court to tell them this need their heads banging together.

Last edited by -pixie; 27-06-2005 at 07:51.
-pixie is offline   Reply With Quote