View Single Post
Old 27-06-2005, 09:20   #7
-pixie

Re: Serious Topic - Do Women Have More Rights Than Men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I am sorry pixie, but no one 'earns' children. Just because you carried them for 9 months and went through labour to have them, then to say you 'earned' them as a result makes them sound like commodities.

If 2 people were to split up, I would expect the father to fight tooth and nail for custody of his children - I don't think the mother should have the absolute right to automatic custody of the children. In our situation though, we would probably work out an amicable solution; neither of us would want to put our kids through any more pain than is absolutely necessary (but I can't see us splitting up anyway!!!)

I think it is appalling though that unmarried fathers have no legal rights over their kids.
It didn't come out how I wanted it to Vorlon. Of course I don't think of kids as some sort of 'commodity' that can be bought and sold. However I DO think that a mother has a very different bond to her children, than what a father has, as a result of pregnancy. I can't quite find a way to put it into words that convey it properly.

I was also under the impression that as of Dec 2003 the law had changed. If a couple is unmarried with kids, the fathers name has to be on the birth certificate for him to have parental rights. Before that I think they had to apply for parental rights.

Last edited by -pixie; 27-06-2005 at 09:26.
-pixie is offline   Reply With Quote