View Single Post
Old 14-12-2005, 13:22   #1
alieren7

"Does Accrington want a Football League side?"

Stanley Chairman Eric Whalley has expressed his disappointment at the recent decline in attendances despite the fact that we are now four points clear at the top of the Nationwide Conference and that a return to the Football League has never been so achievable. “I don’t understand why we continue to lose supporters despite the fact that we are winning games and playing great exciting football?” explained Eric, “Each week we seem to get less and less home support through the turnstiles?

“On Saturday we won our seventh consecutive game, and we haven’t conceded a goal in the last five. We have played 12 home games in the Conference this season and won ten of them. We play great attacking football with a mixture of young talent and experienced professionals; we have a handful of England semi-pro players and a lad who captained his country in the World Cup Qualifiers earlier this year.”

Despite the disappointing attendances the Chairman reassured supporters that the club is still on a sound financial footing. “Obviously at the start of the season when we prepare our budgets we don’t take it for granted that the team will do well, in fact we have to ensure that if we are struggling we can still cover our overheads with the lower gates that would reflect that situation. The danger of gambling on success has caused problems for many a club, and I can promise everyone that it will not happen to Accrington Stanley.

“The regulars who come on week in week out are our core support, and they can be very proud of themselves, they have got us to where we are now. However now we want the people of Accrington to really get behind us. The extra income that we are looking for can then be used when the transfer window opens to ensure that the squad is strong enough for the end of season run in, and will also be spent on the ground making the changes necessary for us to play in the Football League next season.

“Accrington Stanley is a famous name with a well documented history. The hurt of what happened over 40 years ago in 1962 is still felt by many, however over the years a lot of people have put a great deal of effort into getting this club back to where I believe it should be. The question I want to ask now is; do the people of Accrington want a Football League side?”

Accrington Web