View Single Post
Old 26-06-2006, 20:04   #7
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Have you seen mr Fox

We have a lot of them round here, being more or less in the country, and they used to like to go on a dustbin raid at night, before wheelie-bins came in. They could knock a dustbin lid off, no trouble, and have a good root round in the bin for titbits. They still pop into gardens from time to time and have been known to raid bird-tables.

My parents used to live on Livesey Branch Rd in Feniscowles and the houses opposite theirs were a bit lower down the hillside. One day I looked out of their sitting room window and on the flat roof of the garage across the road was a fox curled up, fast asleep in the sun. Not too surprising, considering there were moors right behind my parents' house, but it showed how urbanised foxes have become. I believe there are now more foxes in towns than in the country.

We also had one at my office some years ago. This was before we moved into the centre of Warrington but it was still in a busy, built-up area. There was a portakabin next to the main building and the poor thing ran under it to hide. It was very thin and a bit shaky so we called the RSPCA. The officer managed to catch it, with the help of me and another woman, but when we rang them later that day they said they had had to put it to sleep as it had been poisoned.

I know they are classed as vermin and a lot of farmers hate them but they are beautiful and intelligent animals, just trying to make a living. I'd like to bet there are dozens of them roaming the streets of Ossy at night, they're just too wiley to let you see them.