Thread: What a night
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2006, 08:50   #1
T.C.

What a night

At about 2-45am this morning I woke up coughing and choking. As I have a bad chest I always keep a handkerchief in my jama pocket. I put the hankie over my mouth and staggered to the bathroom, and was amazed when I noticed clots of dark brown liquid in my hankie. To be honest, I was more than amazed, I was worried, so I did the obvious, and called the paramedics. At about 3-00am the ambulance arrived, and into the house walked two lovely young lady paramedics. One called Heidi , and I cant for the life of me remember the name of the other. There was I , sitting in my jamas still coughing this horrible stuff up being assured that everything was alright. They gave me a check over, and advised me that in their opinion, I should go to A&E. By this time I had also had to call Margaret from her bed, and for those who don’t know us, she is not a very well lady, but she assured me she would be OK. It is now about 3-10 am, and these two gorgeous amazons got me into the ambulance and put me on a nebulizer to help me with my breathing, which was not very good by this time. We arrived at BRI at approx 3-30 am, and I am wheeled into a sideroom and given more oxygen, and placed on my finger was a small device that bleeped in time with my pulse. At 3-50 am the doctor arrived, and asked me a few questions concerning my asthma and what medication I was on. That was easily solved as I had a copy of my prescription. He decided he wanted some of my blood, and told me an X Ray of my chest would be required. He stuck a needle on the inside of my wrist and removed three phials of blood. Three I said, that’s more than an armful and left me with a protrusion out of my wrist in case he needed some more. It is now 4-00am and I seem to have been in this room for hours with this bl—dy bleep bleep bleep. At 4-05 am a nurse arrived to put some more liquid in the nebuliser, and when she left she closed the door behind her. It is now 4-25am and it seems like I had been their forever with that damned bleep bleep bleep. I got up and opened the door a bit. As a nurse was passing I asked how long it would be before I went for my X Ray. She said as soon as a porter could be summoned, and just like magic, there was a porter. I offered to walk to the X Ray dept, but no, I had to climb on a trolley. They took the device off my finger , and glory, at last I was escaping that blasted bleep bleep bleep. 4-45am , and am transported to X ray, and the radiographer is waiting. At 4-50 am I’m given the envelope containing the picture of my chest. I’m left outside X Ray dept, and I am back on the trolley, again waiting the porter. 5-00 am , I am back at A&E in the side room and bliss, no bleeper. 5-15 am doctor informs me that the X Ray is OK and all he is waiting for now is the results of the blood test. 5-30 am and the doctor informs me that the blood results are OK. He asks if I feel alright. I feel like hell, but I’m not telling him that, and assure that I am fine. He asks how I intend getting home, and tell him in the quickest possible way. He informs me that it could take some considerable time if I wait for an ambulance, but I inform him that I can afford a taxi. He then directs me to reception, where a very nice young lady rings a taxi for me, and there am I in my jamas, slippers and dressing gown, waiting at reception for Silverline Taxis to come home. When the taxi driver saw me he thought it was hilarious. The doctor at BRI gave me a prescription of anti biotics, and pendrisolone(steroids), and told to visit my GP asap. I went down to Myrtle House at 8-30 am and Dr Manuel saw me immediately. I am now diagnosed a chronic bronchitic. Ah Well, it’s all part of growing old I’m told. Before ending I would like to bring to every bodies notice that the care I received, from the moment paramedics arrived at our house until getting into the taxi to come home, was absolutely brilliant, and if I am unlucky enough to suffer any further trauma, I know I will be in safe an caring hands.