View Single Post
Old 14-08-2006, 22:56   #24
Madhatter
God Member

Re: Photo Competition 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex

I did, actually, vote for Madhatter's photograph .. the one harvesting at night, very dramatic and interesting. So don't give up Madhatter.
Thanks to all four of you who did vote for the pic, also to who ever voted for the workmen one.

I wasn't happy with the pic tbh which is why i uploaded it late. I only have a phone which is digital, all the decent cameras are print. The K750i is a good basic camera and has served me well but gawd its slow to scan and save pictures. Trucks end up the shape of transit vans on the motorway, it scans from top to bottom and as the truck is moving the bottom is further forward than the top.
Anyway, what that picture was meant to be was as it is but the pipe to the truck was actually higher and the wheat was pouring out, you could see iy against the sky. By the time I took it, he'd emptied it and had started to retract the boom, ruining my pic I'd waited all day to get. That was the last load.
The Combine Harvester cost 200 thousand pound, and will cut 2200 acres ,500 acres here, 700 else where and 1000 on the farm where it's stored. The wheat is for bread making not wheatabix. The old way is of course to cut it, tie it in sheafs in the field to dry, then collect it in on the tractor and trailor, store it in the barn, and later pay someone with a thrashing machine to seperate it.
The vans are also stored on the farm. Three of them took part in a special ford transit rally, an were photographed on the Queen Elizabeth II bridge on the M25 from a helicopter, Ford hired the bridge for the event and filled it with transits, the three red ones stick out though . Each was £18,000 and travels about 2250 miles a week up and down to aberdeen.
I quite like night time photography, it can be very dramatic. Perhaps a merging of liking for photography, and for light.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote