View Single Post
Old 22-10-2006, 17:24   #10
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: More snouts in the public's trough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I grew up in the charge of parents who believed that the Labour Party represented the poor, oppressed and huddled masses of the working class. Believing this, they regularly gave their votes to that party whenever they were asked to do so without even pausing to consider issues or arguments; it was an instictive or almost Pavlovian response.

That unquestioning loyalty is what brought the present government to power and has maintained them in it since 1997. That loyalty believed Blair when he offered the prospect of government without sleaze or corruption, just as it believed Harold Wilson's empty rhetoric about advancing into the white heat of the technological revolution or Callaghan's insistence that there was no crisis.

If we don't wake up soon and smell the coffee, the pot will boil dry and the kitchen will go up in flames.
The Labour Party, if it has any principles, should be there to represent everyone. It is supposed to be a progressive party, not a mutually exclusive one. That's the Tories.

Blair was shameless in his persuit of leadership following John Smith's death. How come you were naive to that naked ambition?

And thirdly, as my mate says. Whether the Tories stand for things I want or not, he shall never vote for them for this reason; The vast number of people who vote Conservative have a personal view that it unacceptable to him and he would never endorse or support anything that was established on that rump view.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote