View Single Post
Old 22-10-2006, 18:45   #12
bullseyebarb

Re: More snouts in the public's trough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Well, there's the US viewpoint. Now the real world.

Politicians maybe sleazy and corrupt and it is disapointing to say the least. Here in Hyndburn there is sleaze but people don't want to vote against it.

However the private sector is many times worse. Ask yourself this. Who would you want minding your pension. Mr Enron perhaps, or Robert Maxwell maybe? Or have your water charged to the shareholders of a privatised water company?

Most people in Britain accept the most sleaze is with private individuals and companies.
Still not getting it, are you? Had to bring up the two most notorious cases of corporate corruption in order to try and make your case and attempt to taint everybody else. Well, no sale here. Firstly, do not entrust your pension and future prospects to either government or employer. You can invest your own money - and quite safely if that is your desire. Ah, the wonders of compound interest! There must always be a moral foundation to any business if it is to prosper. In the days when I was employed by others, I worked for many fine companies both large and small.

I am not opposed to county and municipal governments handling utilities and certain aspects of public transportation. There are valid reasons for them to do so. However, for the rest, I'll stick with the free market. It's far more responsive when it comes to delivering the goods and services the public demands. If you don't like the way a company does business you have the choice of going elsewhere. No such luck when it comes to government services.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote