View Single Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:57   #29
cmee
Junior Member+

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Gertrude Jeykll was probably the most influential garden designer of the twentieth century. She is most famously associated with working with Sir Edward Landseer Lutyens. It's a real coup she designed a garden in Accrington. Does any of her original design survive I wonder?
Have just seen this, a year after it was posted.... I helped to start this thread, way back..... My grandparents built Dyke Nook Lodge and employed Gertrude Jekyll to design the garden. I don't know if she visited it, but yes there are published plans (Tooley, M. and R., Gardens of Gertrude Jekyll in Northern England 1982; and Tooley, M.J. in Garden History Vol 8, No. 3 1980). Nothing remains today as far as I know, but my 92-year old mother (with her twin sister the youngest of the 8 Blake children) played in that garden as a child. She remembers Dyke Nook Lodge with enormous affection.
Incidentally, the house was built by the architect Walter Brierley, who also built the Art Gallery - which explains the similarity in the windows.
Does anyone know if the house has been restored - it was in the process when I last saw it, but I got the impression work had ground to a halt. I hope not!
cmee is offline   Reply With Quote