View Single Post
Old 18-02-2007, 21:10   #34
grego
God Member

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmee View Post
Have just seen this, a year after it was posted.... I helped to start this thread, way back..... My grandparents built Dyke Nook Lodge and employed Gertrude Jekyll to design the garden. I don't know if she visited it, but yes there are published plans (Tooley, M. and R., Gardens of Gertrude Jekyll in Northern England 1982; and Tooley, M.J. in Garden History Vol 8, No. 3 1980). Nothing remains today as far as I know, but my 92-year old mother (with her twin sister the youngest of the 8 Blake children) played in that garden as a child. She remembers Dyke Nook Lodge with enormous affection.
Incidentally, the house was built by the architect Walter Brierley, who also built the Art Gallery - which explains the similarity in the windows.
Does anyone know if the house has been restored - it was in the process when I last saw it, but I got the impression work had ground to a halt. I hope not!
The windows are still boarded up, dont know if there's work in progress, would be lovely as a single dwelling.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote