View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 22:05   #1
3rd.Div.North

The Descent into Obscurity.

I remember the overwhelming joy of Eric Whalley and John Coleman when Stanley were promoted back into the Football League. I was hoping the chairman and management would bring a professional approach to all aspects of running the club. I had hoped that the team would be strengthened to enable the club to compete for the whole of the season in League Two. I looked forward after 44 years in the doldrums that Stanley were back to stay where they rightfully belong in the Football League.
I began to have doubts when we soldiered on with the team that won the Conference. OK we did alright to start with but when Rogers and Craney left, results began to go against us. Why didn't we get replacement players and what happened to the money the club got for these players?
I remember Eric Whalley,at the start of the season, bleating on television that gates were poor and his wife wouldn't like it if he had to fork out of his own pocket again! This wasn't a good sign for starters.
The season has gone from bad to worse and I now fear for the future of Stanley.
I see today that John Coleman states that if we lose the Torquay game we will be relegated! Does he not realise that every match from now to the end of the season are Cup Finals for us. Where is the drive, determination, spirit and endeavour of the players? They should be proud to wear our shirt. OK they are far from being skilfull players but they can play with heart which we don't see very often. It's all well and good getting players on loan but they play for a wage not the shirt and it shows and if we are deducted points this has proved our undoing.
As a lad I cried 44 years ago when the proud name of Accrington Stanley was thrown out of the League and no doubt I will again when history repeats itself.
I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but everything is stacked against us.
I am not pessimistic just realistic.
3rd.Div.North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web