View Single Post
Old 26-03-2007, 15:52   #22
gondola
I am Banned

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

''So Councillor Jones took his eye of the ball for a moment and failed to disbar a potentially disloyal candidate from standing at an internal selection poll''

It is not a case of taking your eye off the ball. I am not suggesting Councillor Jones is to blame for this. But it was his comments in the press that made me raise the question. Here is my point, in simple terms:

1) The Labour Party were aware that Mr Safdar (then a Labour Party member) had held discussions with the Conservative Party. Apparently, someone had spoken to Councillor Jones about it.
2) The basis for the discussions was that Mr Safdar would seek to stand as a Labour Councillor, and that if he failed he would move to the Tories. Thus, according to Councillor Jones, he was not interested in assisiting his party, but becoming a Councillor irrespective of whom he stood for.
3) Knowing his 'dalliances' with the Conservative Party, the Labour Party still put him forward as a potential candidate. I appreciate he did not win, but potentially he could have, and the decision was a close one.
4) The net import is therefore, that had he won, doubtless the Labour Party would have been distributing leaflets saying what a wonderful candidate he was and why people should vote for him. When he did'nt win, they turn round and say 'Oh by the way, he is in it for himself, and we realised 3 months ago that he did not give two hoots about which party he stood for as long as he became a councillor'

My point is this. If three months ago they realised that he was not a suitable candidate because of his integrity, then they should have told him in no uncertain terms then.

It strikes me as being a little hypocritical to do it now.

But my view remains the same. Mr Safdar is not someone I would vote for in a million years.
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote