View Single Post
Old 15-05-2007, 20:18   #295
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

I haven't contributed to this thread up to now because my saying, "I hope they find her" etc., won't help and I don't see the point in repeating what's already in the media. I do feel, however, that the Media concentration on the "suspect" is getting out of hand.

The man in question may or may not be involved, I can't form an opinion because I am not there and I'm not privvy to any evidence, but the Press has already tried him and found him guilty. An article in the Daily Express refers to his having a "steely gaze" (so he must be guilty or, at least, shifty). It does, later, say that he has a glass eye. It refers to his always being around the police and "trying to get involved". It then goes on to say that he used to work as an interpreter with Norfolk Police - which may or may not have given him some impulsion to want to work with the Portugese Police. Most guilty fact of all - he lives close to the holiday complex - so that's it then, all wrapped up in a nutshell.

The impression I get from all this is that the Portugese Police have been inefficient from the start. With no other evidence than a "suspicion" by a British woman reporter they have dilligently searched for clues in this man's home and questioned him. This is nearly 2 weeks after the child disappeared. There is still no charge.

They may have got lucky, this man may be involved and they may solve the case. On the other hand, it may be a false trail and a waste of precious time.