View Single Post
Old 31-05-2007, 23:37   #26
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Will we be seeing a return of Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council as well?
No, of course not. All power will still remain in The Bunker. Though we will all get shiney new signs with a coat of arms.

I, like I'm sure everyone else, have no great feelings of warmth for the name of Hyndburn, but after thirty odd years I've gotten used to it. I never say I'm from there. Like everyone else I say I'm from Ossy, or Accrington, Rishton, Great Harwood, wherever.

Our address isn't even Hyndburn. It's Accrington. Even Hyndburn Borough Council's address says Accrington, not Hyndburn.

Scaitcliffe House
Ormerod Street
Accrington
BB5 OPF

This rebranding isn't going to decentralise the Borough, and restore the power to individual Town Halls, each with their Urban Councils, as we had pre 1974. This is purely cosmetic.

If the bright sparks who conceived this, think this idea will bring in investment and renewal to the area, purely on the strength of a name change, then they are simplistic and naive in the extreme. It's much more about affordable business rates, a skilled workforce, transport, accommodation, and a council who have the vision to change that which needs changing, and leaving well alone that which doesn't.

We are hopefully all proud of where we come from, and rightly so. Hyndburn is just the name of the council where we send our taxes. Changing the name, at some considerable expense, will not bring any changes for the better.

It's the system we have, so we have to put up with it, but I've said before, if the positions of being our political representatives were advertised as professional positions, most of this shower wouldn't even make the first interview stage.

By the way, as anyone informed Greg Pope, or will he still be the MP representing Hyndburn in the House of Commons?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote