View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:29   #38
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

In 1974, the London bureaucrats responsible for local government reorganisation came up with the name of Hyndburn on the basis that the river passed through the Borough of Accrington and all it's adjacent towns and urban districts; however, where it flows through Ossy, I know not.

The name was chosen in order to avoid any suggestion of favouritism towards Accrington, although most locals would have pointed out that "Hyndburn" was only an alternative name for the river and it was most commonly referred to as "The Stink". It would appear that to have named the new local authority "Stink" was unaccepable, although no doubt over the years this name would have had far more impact than the otherwise meaningless Hyndburn.

Accrington and District(s) is a far more recognisable name and for the relatively small sums of money involved in changing it should prove a wise investment, although I notice that according to the LT, the "Districts" of Harwood, Rishton, Clayton, Ossy and Accy itself will get their own coat of arms - but not Church! Assuming this is not a cock-up on the part of the LT, I assume that this will be speedily rectified by the powers that be.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote