View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39   #50
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
I think there is some merit in changing the name to Accrington (the 'and District' bit seems a little 1920s to me). It's worth bearing mind that neighbouring Burnley also comprises of towns and villages such as Padiham, Worsthorne, Cliviger, etc without too many problems. I often say that I'm the MP for Accrington to people from London, not because I'm ashamed of the other towns (I'm an 'Arroder!) but simply because no-one has heard of Hyndburn. Giving boroughs names that weren't places was common in the 1970s but I think it's time to move on now.
For a change, I agree with Greg. Sod the "and Districts" bit, just call the borough "Accrington". I live in Stockport which has within it, a number of separate towns like Cheadle and Bramhall, all with their own identity, yet no one complains - it's just accepted as quite natural that the borough takes the name of the largest and best-known town in it. Did the residents of Huncoat and Baxenden complain pre-1974 about their identity being lost? I don't remember them doing so.

It's quite telling, too, that he often says he's the MP for Accrington. And why was this forum not called Hyndburn web? Because it's a name that no one uses, no one likes and no one, outside North East Lancs, knows!