View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 18:36   #72
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

'The sum of £20,000 for new road signs has already been set aside in the council’s budget, says Peter Britcliffe.'

Accrington Observer - End of the road for Hyndburn

Cleverly worded Mr Britcliffe, and a nice bit of spin. £20,000 may have been set aside for new road signs, but that isn't going to be the actual cost, is it?

I have it on very good authority, after a bit of investigation, that HBC pay around £5,000 each for a road sign, which includes manufacture and erection.

Therefore, the replacement four signs we have saying Welcome to Oswaldtwistle/ Borough of Hyndburn, will alone account for the mentioned twenty thousand pounds.

Forget the Two Ronnie Fork Handles, we'll be lucky to get four signs.

I estimate the cost throughout the borough, for replacement road signs alone, never mind all the other changes that will need to be done, will be over £100,000.

Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.

Hyndburn is just the name of our council. We all know where we live, and are rightly proud. This rebranding is going to be a complete waste of money, no matter what spin Mr Britcliffe puts on it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote