View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 13:57   #206
Gayle
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Possibly, but as far as I'm aware, Castle Cement's been there for a long time. If you're looking to attract new business into an area, it pays to have a well-known name. At the moment, the borough is promoted as Hyndburn which means zilch to anyone outside East Lancs. I've already said that the other factors you mention are important, but, in my personal opinion, to have a known brand name could, in certain situations, give the borough the "edge".

We have all the brand names we need already - Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Church etc.

'Hyndburn' has never been used to promote town centre shopping in Accrington or the mill experience at Oswaldtwistle Mills, or any of the other attractions. Hyndburn is an administrative name - it is used for collecting council tax, rubbish collections and for other local things. It does not need to change administratively in order to promote the towns, even for business. In fact, you could put together a business brochure advertising space in Accrington and Districts and it would be fine - no one would object to that at all.

What we're all objecting to is the huge cost of the name change purely for administrative reasons.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote