View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 14:20   #209
Gayle
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, if it's such a bad idea, how come it seems to be the one thing that the council leader, the opposition leader and the local MP all agree on in principle?

Ironic isn't it.

However, I don't think the true cost has been thought out. Take for example Graham's first post on this thread and then later ones - sounds to me like he's started to cost some of it out.

The thing is that it's going to have support - mostly from the slightly older end if you'll forgive me for saying - because most of those people didn't want the name Hyndburn in the first place.

However, the point is that Hyndburn covers a district made up of eight towns, Accrington being only one of them (the biggest admittedly) and the fact that the name Hyndburn is generic means that it can easily describe that area. For example, reading the Observer and the number of articles that say 'Hyndburn councillors.......' or 'Residents in Hyndburn........' or 'Across Hyndburn...........' etc. It's just an umbrella name.

By changing it to Accrington and Districts you are actually fragmenting the area and not strengthening it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote