View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 19:51   #218
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

All I can say is this - I believe that Accrington is a much better known name than Hyndburn. But that's not saying much because Hyndburn is totally unknown outside of East Lancashire. I also believe that Accrington is a much better known name than all the other, smaller towns in the borough. In my opinion and in my experience, Clayton Le Moors, Church, Rishton, Great Harwood and Altham are not well-known at national level. Again, in my opinion and experience, Oswaldtwistle is known, but only in a limited way.

Accrington, on the other hand, enjoys a degree of national recognition way, way beyond its standing as a small North-West ex-mill town of 38,000 souls. There are towns much bigger than Accrington which are not nearly as well-known. There are two major reasons which have been discussed at length on this site and elsewhere - one involves courage, loyalty, comradeship and ultimately tragedy. The other concerns a dream that was cruelly shattered and then through sheer persistence, came to life again in the face of all odds, proving that in today's harshly commercial sporting world, there is still a little bit of romance to be found occasionally.

The end result is that Accrington is a nationally, perhaps even internationally famous brand name. It therefore seems to me that the borough should make the most of this by changing its name from Hyndburn to Accrington & Districts. I know that business rates, available workforce, communications and many other factors are of far more importance to companies who are looking to relocate or expand and perhaps you're right, Gary, perhaps I am being naive. But the people who make these decisions are human beings and I believe that sometimes a well-known name can swing it in a particular area's favour. As I said before, I have no examples to prove this, it's just something I feel instinctively.

And can I just say to you Hyndburnites who are thinking, "It's all right for him, he won't have to pay for it." that I have fought for this since 1974. I conducted a war of words against committed Hyndburn supporters like Wyn Hogan and Eric Roberts in the letters columns of the Observer in the early '80's while living in my little bachelor pad in Bash, so I was quite prepared to pay for it...because I think it's worth it.

I shal now go and get my tin hat.