View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 21:03   #221
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I won't argue with you that it shouldn't have been changed in the first place - I was only young at the time and have no recollection of it. But just because it shouldn't have changed in the first place is no justification for changing it again. And remember, it's not being changed back and that is a very weak argument. It was never Accrington and Districts and I suspect that you would have objected to that just as strongly back in 1974 as a resident of Baxenden.
In 1974, I was actually living in Claret Street (just around the corner from Mr & Mrs Britcliffe's off-licence!). Didn't move to Bash until 1981. However, my instinct was to name the whole area Greater Accrington. Given the choice bewtween Hyndburn and Accrington & Districts, I would go for the latter everytime. The first part of the name is instantly recognisable and the fact that there is no other "& Districts" in the UK is pleasingly individualistic to me, a little like the exclamation mark in Westward Ho! It also acknowledges that there are other towns in the borough which is surely what you want. Personally, I like the new name!