View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03   #24
entwisi
God Member

Re: Any professionals out there???

If you aren't doing Sports stuff(or things where you need fast AF) you can get good quality lenses for not a lot of money.

Canon DSLRs will easily take the old Pentax M42 thread lenses which sell on eBay etc for a fraction of the cost of the equivilant Canon AF lens. I have two adaptor, one is a basic one with no electronics which means I have to judge the focus by eye. I've actually become quite good at this. the second has a chip on it that enables the cameras internal AF confirmation. i.e. you have to turn the focus ring yourself but the camera confirms when each focus zone hits focus by flashing the indicators in the viewfinder. The basic one was £6 teh electronic one ws £30.

Up to know I prefer using these lenses than my two Canon AF ones

For reference I have

Mir1B 37mm F2.8 lovely old thing, came straight from Ukraine wrapped in 1970's Russian newspaper £17 delivered

Pentacon 50mm 1.8 - cost a tenner delivered, nice portrait lens and good on tubes

Chinon 55mm 1.7 - my fave general lens, superb colours and tack sharp above 2.8

Porst 135mm 2.8 - another cheap fast tele lens, good colour
Jupiter 37A 135 3.5 - lovely again, in my top three lenses, cracking bokeh and very good with macro tubes on

Asahi Super Takumar 200mm f4 - my most expensive buy at £65 and its quality is unbelieveable. Another one that performs really well on tubes

I keep looking for a nice 85mm and if I can get one a decent 300mm F4 (Garth Dawsons has one in but its got some dust inside on the internal lenses and he's a bit expensive at £125)

There is no way I could afford such a range of lenses if I bought them in Canon or even Sigma/Tamron.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote