View Single Post
Old 16-07-2007, 21:09   #1
Tin Monkey
Senior Member+

Dampness Advice?

I've had a problem with the rear downstairs wall of my house for the last 12 months. The wall doesn't feel very damp (but there is a slight sticky feeling to it) but the wallpaper has wrinkled to a height of about 3 feet (1 metre). The wall isn't exactly an outside wall, as there is a kitchen built onto the back of the house, but it has been an outside wall originally. There is no sign of discolouring, just the wrinkled wallpaper. The wallpaper isn't coming off and there is no mold anywhere to be seen.

I've had a DPC company to look at it and they say that it's rising damp due to there being a concrete floor in the room, which is fair enough as the house is over 100 years old and has never had a DPC.

The question I have is, if i was to leave the work on the DPC for another year, would it cause problems? I have a lot on my plate at the moment and don't really want the upheaval of this work, plus I can't really afford it right now either. If I was to leave it for 12 months and then sorted it out, could I find that other problems have arisen?

Anyone know about these things? Thanks.